Sunday, July 17, 2011

Bee report – July 4th, 2011

When I arrived at Willow Springs today the bees were fairly active considering the rainy weather conditions. I was able to get up-close and personal with the bees, examining the entrance-way and bending my ear towards the entrance to see if I could detect any signs of life inside! The bees are fairly active inside the nest, a true hub of activity - notably the ‘fanning’ of the bees to keep the hive at a consistent temperature.

While observing the bees I was able to position myself right in their flight path to see how they would react and realized that they were more concerned about depositing their goods in the hive than getting me out of the way. However, when they started ‘crashing into me’ I decided to move back a little to avoid a fight with any returning foragers. In addition, I would like to conclude by mentioning that these bees are extremely happy and I look forward to working with them during the next few month.

~Paul Dosen

No comments:

Post a Comment